Read the attached excerpts from speeches by Booker T. Washington, Ida B.Wells and W.E.B. Dubois.
Note that Washington’s speech is being given to white people.
Answer the questions. Use appropriate punctuation, spelling and grammar.
Answer in your own words.
1. What does Washington say black people’s attitude should be about “common labor”?
2. What does Washington mean when he talks about fingers and the hand?
3. What THREE strategies is Well’s recommending in response to lynching? You do not get credit unless you put 3 answers!!!
4. What specific strategies is DuBois recommending? What are his goals?
5. Which in your view was the most effective strategy for late l9th century black Southerners to pursue? Washington’s, DuBois or Wells? Why?