Week 7 Assignment
Application: The Impact of the Affordable Care Act on North Carolina’s Uninsured Population
Although there is often political pressure to create programs that increase access to services, these programs often are unfunded mandates. The expansion of insurance coverage is directly linked to health care costs, and controlling these costs presents a tremendous challenge. This week’s readings present information on cost evaluation; potential trade-offs related to cost, quality, and access; and financial and economic principles that apply to cost evaluation in delivering health care services.
An example of the difficulty of addressing these competing interests can be seen in a case study concerning “The Impact of the Affordable Care Act on North Carolina’s Uninsured Population”. This Assignment focuses on ethical, financial, and quality of care aspects surrounding the issue.
- Read the case study about “The Impact of the Affordable Care Act on North Carolina’s Uninsured Population” on pages 202–203 inHealth policy and politics: A nurse’s guide (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.).
- Reflect on what you have learned from the readings and media segments about health care financing as you read the case study.
To complete this Assignment, write a 3- to 5-page paper that addresses the following:
- Explain the impact of the Affordable Care act on the population that it affected.
- Explain the impact of the economics of providing care to patients from the organization’s point of view.
- How will patients be affected in relationship to cost of treatment, quality of treatment, and access to treatment?
- What are the ethical implications of this act for both the organization and the patients?
This Assignment is due by Day 7 of Week 5.
References to use for the paper (cut and paste into a url web browser)
See the attached PDF of the pages referenced above
The ethical implementations
Caring enough to provide
Barriers to primary care
paper to be done in APA format
questions email email@example.com