Law enforcement and corrections exist within a market economy. Both types of organizations offer a product and are required to compete for funding and resources. Before an organization can compete in the capitalist marketplace, it is necessary for them to have a thorough understanding of the various strengths and weaknesses of the agency as well as the many opportunities and threats facing the organization. SWOT analyses and strategic management are essential for success in the open market. A variety of economic considerations such as resource allocation, market failure, equilibrium, demand, and supply are each addressed in an agency’s SWOT analysis.
For this assignment, you will be taking on the role of a supervisory financial officer for either a local law enforcement agency or a state correctional organization. You must visit the website of your local police agency, sheriff’s department, or state correctional organization and create a seven to ten slide PowerPoint presentation of a SWOT analysis for your chosen organization. Be sure to include elements similar to those presented in the SWOT analyses provided in the required sources for this assignment.
In order to create cleaner slides you may, if you wish, make use of the speaker’s notes section in each slide to draft what you would say if you were presenting the information. To make your presentation more interesting, include visual enhancements in your slides such as appropriate images, distinctive fonts, animations, or active transitions from content piece-to-content piece and slide-to-slide. Students may wish to use the Where to Get Free Images guide (available in the online classroom) for assistance with accessing freely available public domain and/or Creative Commons licensed images.) It is recommended that you access Garr Reynolds’ Top Ten Slide Tipsthat provides useful assistance with creating successful PowerPoint presentations.
The following elements must be included in your presentation:
- Create a SWOT analysis for your chosen organization.
- Examine the variety of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats that your organization faces, or might face in the future.
- Evaluate the financial constraints that arise in your chosen organization and explain the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats associated with them.
- Explain how the elements of public finance and budget management affect basic economic issues such as market failure, competition, demand, supply, and equilibrium.
The SWOT Analysis presentation
- Must be seven to ten slides in length (not including title slide)
- Must include a separate title slide with the following:
- Title of presentation
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted