Headrick, The Tools of Empire – Essay- 3-4 pages FOR TUTOR SOPHIA
(HIST 110B Term Paper – Fall 2015)
Headrick, The Tools of Empire – Essay Questions & Format Guidelines
DUE à Nov.6
*Paper Style and Content: Everyone will conform to the Chicago Manual of Style format. For more info concerning this style, see attachment on the next page. Carefully proofread your papers!!
**Plagiarism: There are a lot of online essays concerning this topic and even more on this particular book. Please resist the temptation to use any ideas, much less “cut and paste” excerpts from these sources. Anyone caught cheating in any manner as described in the syllabus is in violation of CSUF’s code of conduct and will fail this assignment if not the course.
***Please indicate which question you chose to write on!!
Please choose one of the Essay Questions below:
1. How does Headrick explain the expansion of European political control over Asia and Africa in the mid-to-late 19th century?
2. How, according Headrick, does technologyplay an extremely important role in the imperial expansion from the West?
3. Headrick states “the progress and power of industrial technology” (p. 3) and “the domination and exploitation of Africa and much of Asia by Europeans” have been thoroughly analyzed as separate issues. Why hasn’t there been more discussion connecting these two important occurrences in world history?
4. Discuss and link together the main forces and factors that account for European hegemony (domination) over the rest of the world.
5. How did the development of medical science lend greater opportunities for European (and American) expansion?
***The Documentary Note or Humanities Style. This format uses bibliographic notes rather than text citations. The Chicago Style emphasizes two parts: a number in the text and a noteeither at the bottom of the page (footnote) or at the end of the paper (endnote). Microsoft Word enables this style: go to the “references” tab and click on the AB Insert Footnote button. For those of you who may use another source in addition to Headrick, you will need to conform to the examples cited below!!!!!
Notes are numbered sequentially, beginning with 1., throughout each part of the paper. The numbers must follow sentences, clauses, quotations, punctuation marks and closing parentheses. The note should have superscipt number à
Subsequent references to sources already fully cited should be shortened. An indent always precedes the citation.