Read the article titled “Adam Lanza”, located at http://www.biography.com/#!/people/adam-lanza-21068899#synopsis. Next, view the article that discusses Lanza’s psychiatric treatments titled “Lanza’s Psychiatric Treatment Revealed In Documents”, located at http://articles.courant.com/2013-12-28/news/hc-lanza-sandy-hook-report1228-20131227_1_peter-lanza-adam-lanza-nancy-lanza.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Compare and contrast three (3) key similarities and three (3) differences between mental illnesses and mental disorders. Provide one (1) example of each similarity and difference to support your response.
- Speculate whether or not Adam Lanza’s engagement with violent video games was a stressor that caused him to act out his obsession with mass murders. Next, hypothesize whether or not Adam Lanza would have been a good candidate for treatment of his mental illness if he had not committed suicide. Justify your response.
- Since Lanza was diagnosed at a young age with a mental illness, suggest one (1) action psychologists should have suggested that could have prevented the assault that occurred at Sandy Hook elementary. Support your response.
- Differentiate between the key characteristics associated with functional mental disorders, minor mental disorders (i.e., neuroses), and manic-depressive behavior. Next, support or criticize the notion that one disorder is more severe than the other. Justify your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar type Websites do not qualify as academic resources.